Support SARC through Amazon Smile

By Dennis KD9HIK

If you use, your purchases can help support the Schaumburg Amateur Radio Club (SARC).

Register your account with ‘’ and Amazon will contribute ½ of 1 percent of your eligible purchases to any single 501C organization you choose.  Participation doesn’t increase your purchase price.  SARC is registered with ‘’.

The process is simple:  Log into ‘’.  The landing page will direct you to where you can select the 501C you want.  Type “Schaumburg Amateur Radio Club” in the search box.  A couple of clicks later, you’re registered.  You don’t have to change your login or password.  Pretty painless.

The money is directed to the bank account of the registered 501C on a regular basis via PayPal.  It’s a one way street – deductions cannot be made by Amazon from the PayPal account, so it’s pretty safe.

You do have to remember to log in via ‘’; otherwise Amazon won’t recognize your purchases as eligible.

I went through the process, and now my purchases help support SARC.  Fun way to support the club.

Schaumburg Amateur Radio Club Business Meeting August 19th, 2021

August 19, 2021


Danny Kafka KD9HIL Vice President called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM




Tim Smith KC9NMW Rob Glowacki  N9MVO Danny Kafka  KD9HIL
Bob Benwitz N9JAX John Douglas KD9KSH Barry Friedman K9FMB
Don Dewar KD9NJR Robert Kocourek W9RKK Bob Zuttermeister W9GEW
Dennis Calvey KD9HIK John Zietlow K9WIC Leo Ribordy N9NBH
Bill Riess KW9WR Brent Kaser WB9UXN

Jim Hansen KD9TGS

Hugh Pearl WB9VWM
Charlene Treve K9CMZ


Cliff Sowka K9QD


Secretary’s Report:


Cliff Sowka K9QD July Minutes as published in the RHG for Approval.  So Moved.


Treasurer’s Report:


John Zietlow K9WIC provided the following report:


Bank Balance       $6,519.44


INCOME                $1,101.00 from CP Surplus Sale


DISBURSEMENTS $62.82 16-Apr data line


Petty Cash             $144.20


FD Donations        $75.00 included in balance


Funds Available    $7,576.82


As of Aug 19, 103 paid members.


Public Service:


Rob Glowacki N9MVO informed there are no planned events for the remainder of the year.



John Zietlow K9WIC reported he intends to publish the Village of Schaumburg Emergency Operations Center link for those members who wish to apply to become a trusted radio operator for the village.

Since SARC isn’t a SkyWarn entity, we may still wish to educate members to become mobile observers even without official standing:  we can assist the various village services in assessing such events as damage reports to speed responses after an emergency.  SkyWarn procedures define specific parameters to be followed in reporting situational occurrences.  Establishing correctly-understood criteria by the various agencies follows specific protocol. Notification of dangerous situations is an important service Ham Radio Operators can contribute.


Schaumburg Public Safety Day is scheduled for Saturday October 2nd.  SARC has historically prepared a booth and plans to participate again this year.




Rob N9MVO reported the internet link is experiencing sporadic service interruptions.  Kent W9KAO previously suggested changing our service away from AT&T and John K9WIC has investigated moving to Extreme DSL.  Update expected shortly.


Construction Project:


Don’s KD9NJR Saturday morning CP meetings remain dormant until the fall sessions resume in late September.  The budget of $500 for consumables and instrumentation purchases has already been approved.  Purchases have already begun with the acquisition of some hand tools.


VE Tests Results for August 7, 2021


Name Call Class
James Hansen KC9TGS Technician


Technician 1
General 0
Extra 0
Total 1


Participating Volunteer Examiners (VEs):


Ed Lishka AC9SD
John Schofield AC9JS
Dirk Smith W0RI


Next examination date:  September 4, 2021


John Schofield AC9JS

Session Manager


Radio Hill Gazette  RHG


Mike Griffiths K9KMV no report.




Darryl KD9RHR not present.




John Douglas KD9KSH reports we have reservations for a social gathering at Garibaldi’s Sunday 23rd of September @ 6PM.




Leo N9NBH reports our Tech/General training schedule planning with Village’s library facility is currently unable to be restarted due to lack of staff responses to his inquiries.  Cursory survey of membership indicates there are more than 16 wishing to join a Morse Code training effort sometime in the fall.




Leo N9NBH has been receiving much-needed support from John Scrip N9IJS for the evenings he has schedule conflicts.  Nets are active and well attended.




Dennis KD9HIK Chairman posted a procedural notice on SARC-ALL explaining how to invoke Amazon charitable reimbursement on all purchases that can provide financial benefit for our club if is selected when entering new orders.   Since SARC is a 501c3 organization, Amazon has already qualified us as a valid recipient and John Zietlow K9WIC has already enabled our banking to gain access to any funds earned.




No report.  Need Chairperson.  Charlene Treve K9CMZ presented a ~7 minute video of her earlier jazz vocal performances tonight.


Old Business:




New Business:


Nominating Committee chaired by Leo Ribordy N9NBH formed to recruit officer candidates for our fall elections:


Barry K9FMB


John K9WIC

Danny KD9HIL


It is expected they will convene quickly to begin the process due to the notification restrictions of the Bylaw Election Requirements being only weeks away.


Dues Proration: New members joining months before the July renewal will be provided automatic extension of their membership for the following year.


John Zietlow K9WIC moved a Bylaw change that moves our Fiscal Year to July~June instead of current Jan~Dec.  This will help align our financials with annual reports, membership census, and record-keeping.  Danny KD9HIL seconded.


  • Bylaw change will be on our November Ballot for membership approval.


Matt Walsh AC9IG has been gathering membership responses to two questions about Newsline being played after the weekly Net.  Discussion tonight ensued and vote taken to determine the membership’s desire regarding Newsline.


DECISION:  Continue to provide Newsline following the Net’s closure

  • Do you listen to Newsline after the Thursday net?
  • Would you prefer the net to end and immediately return to normal QSOs?

Please see the responses below and read them into the minutes:


I rarely ever listen to it.  And when I do listen to it , never pay attention or remember it.

I like many others call it snoozeline.

I know it’s supposed to be valuable information but I just don’t find it all that interesting.

I’d personally open it up for a question and answer discussion to all.  Basically a tech net , but don’t call it technet.

Or better yet to get some forced discussion going , go around to all that check in and have them chime in on any activities ham related or not. Or hold off on the question at the check-in and just take calls.  Then after all initial club matters are done, then pop the question of the night and make a round of it and then a 73 round.

Do you listen to Newsline after the Thursday net?  No, it’s almost a week old by the time SARC plays it.  We started running Newsline on the net many, many years ago before the availability of the Internet as we know it now.  We had to dial up Newsline on the landline and record it on a cassette and then play the cassette back over the SARC repeater Thursday night.  I did that more than a few times.

Would you prefer the net to end and immediately return to normal QSOs? Return to normal QSOs but either way is ok with me.  Some people may like to hear it over the repeater.  The repeater is available for QSOs almost all the other 7×24 hours a week.

I do like hearing the newline after the Thursday net.



I don’t typically hang around for Newsline.

At the same time, I don’t have a preference about whether the repeater returns immediately to normal traffic.


Hi. Matt.  Keep it.  Believe it or not there are people who don’t use the internet but do listen via scanner etc.  I view it as a service to those outside of ham radio.  It may even help attract future hams.

I don’t find that Newsline really has any information that is useful.  I would vote to eliminate.

I do like to listen to (s)Newsline, but would like it even more if it was new news.  Hearing about goings on I missed last weekend is disappointing.

I enjoy listening to the Newsline, so my vote is to continue running it after the Net…

Yup, listen to Newsline after Thursday net.  Prefer that it continues…

I usually don’t listen to the news line after the net.

I do listen to the Newsline after the net.

I vote to keep it.

Another thing for those who have smart speakers, like the Alexa, all you have to do is say:

Alexa play ARRL Newsline.

What is cool you can pause it and come back and listen too.

The audio quality is much better too.

Ask an Elmer




Motion to Adjourn:


Meeting ended 8:27 PM

Cliff Sowka K9QD Secretary

Schaumburg Amateur Radio Club Board of Directors Meeting August 4th, 2021

Board of Directors Meeting Aug 4, 2021


Danny Kafka KD9HIL Vice President called the meeting to order at 7:06 PM.




Danny Kafka KD9HIL Charlene K9CMZ John Douglas  KD9KSH
John Zietlow K9WIC Barry K9FMB Kent Ochs W9KAO
Ed Liska  AC9SD Cliff Sowka K9QD Sid Puri KD9OL J

Secretary’s Report:


Cliff Sowka K9QD:  Approve as published in June Radio Hill Gazette. John K9WIC moved, Kent W9KAO seconded.  So moved..


Treasurer’s Report:


John Zietlow K9WIC provides the following report for August 4th:


Bank Balance     1-Jul                                      $8,671.75

INCOME                                                              $      65.00




28-Jul    dues                      $     45.00

$     20.00

MEMO                                                                  $1,033.67


1-Jul       Data Line             $   115.17

PO Box annual                    $   146.00

Food & Supplies* (detail below)                $   541.51

FD Set-Up pizza Friday*                                 $   230.99

Checks Outstanding                                        $     25.00

Deposit not included      $       0.00

Account Balance               $7,678.08


Plus petty cash – special accounts              $7,809.28


31-Jul    Bank Statement                                 $7,703.08

Checks Outstanding                                        $     25.00

Petty Cash                                                           $   131.20

100 members on roster.



*Summary of Field Day expenditures:


Friday night pizza                             $230.99

Food and supplies                            $541.51

Total                                                      $772.50


Pizza                                                      $300.00

Field Day                                              $540.00

Donations                                                           $ 75.00


In 2019, the Club spent approximately $700 ($697.50) on Summer Field Day


Public Service:


Rob Glowacki N9MVO no report.




John Zietlow K9WIC has scheduled a meeting with Village officials this coming Thursday to understand future vision of SARC’s Emergency Communication Volunteer Radio Operator’s role.  Original staff of 8 members who are certified as trusted operators has declined to 6 at present.  Expecting to report findings during the Business Meeting the third Thursday of August.


Uncertain if Schaumburg Public Safety Day will be held this fall.  SARC has been supportive of the event over the years by hosting a booth and bringing exposure of Ham Radio to the public.  More details as they become known.


Copy of Police Chief Bill Wolf’s acknowledgment to John Zietlow K9WIC regarding SARC’s EMCOMM Contributions has been prominently posted on the Construction Project (CP) storage cabinets.




Terry Jarnholm AE9TJ and Rob Glowacki N9MVO Repeater Committee: No report.


Internet access is kaput at the moment.  Self-healing has occurred in the past but will visit the Barrington Road site after Maxfield’s meeting on Saturday morning.


SARC has purchased and received a new Yaesu FT-300DR radio for the repeater.  Installation at the Barrington Road site and recording the radio’s serial number (for Club’s Asset file) will be accomplished shortly.


Illinois Repeater Association:  SARC is no longer listed in their directory.  No action taken to change this current status with the Association because the benefit is unclear.


Construction Project (CP):


Sessions are on hiatus until regularly scheduled resumption this fall.  Don Dewar’s KD9NJR 6-foot-long TONGS are in storage and still available for donut access once our sessions restart (provided that there are no further COVID restrictions in the Governor’s plan).

Burt AB9CV is soliciting a list of tools/consumables needed to replenish CP stores for our upcoming sessions starting this September.

VE Testing:


Ed Lishka AC9SD informed there were no candidates for August.


Participating Volunteer Examiners (VEs):


Bill Davies K9WKD
Steve Karson AC9EM
Ed Lishka AC9SD
John Schofield AC9JS



  No report.  Barry K9FMB has been appointed Net Chairman.


Radio Hill Gazette RHG:

  Mike K9KMV No Report.


Recurring Calendar:


Formation of a Nominating Committee for November’s election cycle will be required soon because candidate names need to be published with sufficient prior notice; means our club should be communicating potential officer candidates by mid-September.




Darryl Jenks KB9RHR no report.




Dennis C. Calvey KD9HIK Publicity Chair no report.




John KD9KSH.  Planning a club social event at Garibaldi’s for some time in October.  Holiday party in January is also on the calendar.



Leo N9NBH.  No Report.



 Board approved a Traditional Jazz video to be presented by Charlene K9CMZ for our August Business Meeting.  John K9WIC moved, Ed AC9SD seconded.  So moved.


John K9WIC is planning to present EMCOMM demonstration of Digital Voice Comparison for the September meeting.


Chairperson needed now that CRC has re-opened.


Old Business:



New Business:


ARRL Affiliated Club status for us is currently dormant.  It’s possible we could connect with Section Manager Tom Biebe to determine steps needed to reestablish ARRL Affiliated Club Status for SARC.

Kent W9KAO suggested the club provide more effective communications reminding membership of meetings via Nets and SARC-ALL.  A bit of Marketing is needed to improve meeting attendance.

Burt Schultz AB9CV (not present) is the point-man for Construction Project investment:  suggestions needed for test equipment and consumables to help define budget required:

Hot Air Rework Station for Surface Mount components

Renew 9V battery in meters

Desk-Mount Vise, steel hacksaw & replacement blades

Contact cleaner (3 or 4?)

Freeze spray (3 or 4?) recently purchased online and it was something like $13 for just one can

Small set of files, reamer, rattails too

Potentiometer lubricant/de-ox

Q-Tips as well as small first-aid kit just in case

Shrink tubing assortment

Heat gun; cheap Chinese is good enough

Hot melt glue gun and sticks

Drill bits to augment the current drill-motor in storage

Several good quality side-cutters (only one of original ~10 cheap-Chinese remains in to the tool box).

Test Leads (avoid those cheap Chinese clips that merely smash their strain-relief metal into un-stripped wire)

Additional Tool Box to separate the solder and test-lead equipment from the tools

Flux pens

Roll of Pb-Sn solder (the real stuff)

Antenna/Network analyzer (maybe similar to QST article nanoVNA)

Assessment of tool deficiencies: take inventory & obtain appropriate items



Adjourn: 8:04PM.


Submitted August 5, 2021.  Cliff Sowka K9QD Secretary